Skip to main content

Dining Out for Life - Emelle's Catering


Emelle's Catering on Urbanspoon

For Dining Out for Life on March 25th, I picked two places to try: Emelle's Catering for breakfast, and Nook for dinner.

I didn't have any particular recommendation for Emelle's, but rather chose it because it was very close to where I volunteer for the Vancouver Crisis Centre and could pop by in the morning after my shift.
I had a look at their website beforehand, and had picked out their Corned Beef Hash and Jumbo Buttery Croissant. When I got there and checked the menu again (in case of something new -- websites can be notoriously outdated, like Le Gavroche's, which makes no mention of their Lobster Fest as the "latest news" on their website is from November 2005), there was mention of butterhorns and I thought to ask about it.
Sadly, I was told that it wasn't being made anymore, and should have been taken off the menu. No problem. Jumbo buttery croissant it is!
Oops... No, that wasn't on the menu either. In fact, I was told that the entire baked goods blackboard shouldn't still be up there. So if you researched their menu online, you shouldn't count on anything listed under "fresh from the oven" to be available.
Did they at least have corned beef hash? Yup. Whew.

Overall the corned beef hash was pretty tasty and though some might find it not salty enough, far from bland. I personally felt there could have been a bit more beef and a bit less onion. And the potatoes could have been cut much smaller, too.
The potatoes were cut into chunks about a cubic inch in volume, which meant that you couldn't really scoop it up with either fork or spoon and expect to also get corned beef and other hashy goodness with it in the same bite. Likely you'll spear it with a fork, and all the other ingredients in the dish would fall off.

The hash came with two eggs any style; and two slices of toast, cut diagonally and pre-buttered (or was it margarine?), so if you're watching your waistline, you might want to ask for butter on the side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.