Skip to main content

Wishes + Luck

Click to add a blog post for Wishes & Luck on Zomato Been curious about Wishes+Luck since my friend J of Vanbrosia.com rated it highly earlier this year.

Place is small. Seating is tight. There is bar-style seating just parallel to the entry ramp, and no shortage of hooks for purses and jackets. Small bit of patio seating. Tables for two are sort of tight on space. No cloth napkins, so don't make a mess. One paper napkin is standard issue per seat, pre-issued on the table. Depending on what you order, you may want more right away.

Sadly, they have an equally good and popular neighbour in Jamjar, so if you can't get into one, you can't count on the other as a backup plan. Fortunately Commercial Drive has no shortage of eateries.

Dropped in for a late-ish lunch. They are apparently busy during the 11am-12.30pm lunch rush, then starting around 6pm again for the dinner rush through till closing for the late-night crowd. Strangely not that busy Fridays and Saturdays (all this according to my server and memory) when they quiet down around 9-ish pm.

Afternoon server was a friendly, smiling totally sexy guy with a honey voice. Ladies -- the man's working and not interested in giving you his number, okay?

Tuna XO ($13) wild-caught albacore, shishito peppers, grains, XO sauce
  • As usual I asked for what was interesting and weird. This was the first suggestion. Didn't sound really wow but I went for it. Turned out really decent!
  • Works out to a light meal. Looks like a salad, but slightly more filling with quinoa all over the place.
  • Little dark-golden-coloured lumps here and there which are strangely not that flavourful are probably evidence of XO Sauce in the dish.
  • TIP: There is something that looks like softened butter at the very bottom of your bowl, covered by everything. Dig for it and mix it into the quinoa. Adds a touch of sourness to everything. Don't leave it for last. Caveat: They *may* have just forgotten to mix it into the quinoa on my order. Fluke?
  • Soft slices of tuna like you might get in a sushi restaurant.
  • Roasted shishito peppers barely have any heat to it, and has some slightly bitterness. Not exactly yucky to eat, but pointless. Eat it with something, like the quinoa maybe.
    • Apparently only 1 in 10 peppers have heat to them, so I guess it's sort of a lucky (?) draw.
    • TIP: Could totally have used either a small plate or another napkin because I didn't feel like eating the long-ish stems on the chillies. But I had nowhere to put them except right on the tabletop.
Sadly I went alone on this trip so I didn't get to try too many items. Will obviously have to go back for some of the items recommended  by J.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.