Skip to main content

Great Value at Urban Fare Shangri-La Grilled Cheese Bar

Urban Fare on Urbanspoon If you don't already know, pre-fab Grilled Cheese sandwiches are now available at Urban Fare Shangri-La. They do have a $6.99 build-your-own-sandwich bar, but now they have a selection of pre-made grilled-to-order sandwiches that have interesting ingredients like a vegetarian one with apples, and a "Carnivore" that has cubes of CROCODILE meat.

That said, can someone slap me upside the head the next time I order crocodile? I am such a sucker for strange meats, but it disappoints every time.
This is not to say that the Carnivore sandwich was bad. It's a nicely put-together sandwich at the high end of the sandwich offerings at $7.49. The thing is, if you're ordering it to check out what crocodile tastes like, you will be very disappointed. It tastes like chicken. It's white meat. Firm like chicken breast but the texture isn't quite the same. Just as bland, though. Do NOT buy this just to get exotic meat. Heck, don't buy it to get a lot of meat, because it's not exactly loaded with meat -- it's spaced out thick cubes and didn't look like ground-up meat (which is what you sometimes get when people sell you crocodile, such as in a burger). It tastes rather good because of the other ingredients, though.

If you do go, I recommend you check your sandwich BEFORE you leave the counter after they have grilled it for you. My sandwich looked fine and nicely browned and toasted on the outside, but it wasn't hot enough inside and the cheese was softened but not melted. It's possible that they can't heat it anymore in case the bun burns. Or that there is a regulation on how hot they can serve it. Whatever the case, check the meltiness of your cheese before you go and expect to be there 15 minutes minimum just to get your sandwich warmed up in their panini presses. This "fast food" isn't all that fast. (You can, however, get it to go.)

When I went in today, I also got a FREE small soup of choice, which comes with a free small pack of croutons. Free free free. Yay! It adds up to a nice, filling meal for less than $10.

There was a nice selection of soup, with irritating covers on the piping HOT soups. Once you flip the half-lid open, you really need to reach around and feel for the small handle again, unless you want to touch the lid, which may be not and also somewhat unsanitary for everyone else.
My recommendation is to grab a napkin before you head to the soup counter, so that if you don't want the hassle and just want to grab it by the edge of the lid, you can at least use the napkin to keep things sanitary and keep your fingers from possibly getting seared.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.