Skip to main content

Very spicy chai at Cafe Leila

Cafe Leila on Urbanspoon
In search of interesting eats, while I was in Berkeley in early 2015-April, my friend in Berkeley directed me to Café Leila for breakfast because of their signature "spicy chai".

Chai ($?)
  • It's just listed as chai on the menu, and you can have it hot or cold. I recommend hot.
    • The cold one isn't (fluke mistake?) mixed for you and obviously comes with ice.
    • The hot one tastes better -- you get more of the experience of flavours including chai spices, hot-spiciness, and sweetness.
  • You can also apparently have varying degrees of "spicy", which may be independent of the 11 secret spices used. The hot-spiciness of the chai is not a burning on the tongue, but a peppery bite at the back of the throat. If you like ginger beer, you'll probably like this a lot.
  • There is also quite a sweet aftertaste (from honey as a sweetener, I think).
Date Omelette ($10.95) fancy medjool dates, feta cheese, toast, fries
  • It came with what appeared to be squashed and seared whole seedless dates plus feta cheese folded inside a large, thin omelette. Served with "fries" (pan fried potatoes), four half slices of toast (you can choose from various types of bread), and two small wedges of watermelon.
  • Toast was lousy - two slices overdone to too much dry crispiness, and they were barely buttered and only in a spot on the toast. No butter or jam on the side.
  • The omelette itself was interesting for its composition, but otherwise unremarkable. As breakfasts go, for $10.95 your plate is on the heavier side of breakfast so if you want a lighter breakfast, maybe ask them to hold the toast.
The cafe front looks small, but it stretches deep, all the way to a garden at the back, with seating.

Price is OK, food is OK. Some interesting things like their spicy chai, but otherwise not very special unless you count the "invisible" factors indicated on their website: "We specialize in healthy, tasty food, at affordable prices. When you visit us, you’ll find foods prepared on-site daily. We use organic ingredients and chemical free foods.  We offer you dishes that are naturally low in fat and cholesterol, yet high in taste."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.