It's a busy place even on a Sunday night, but turnaround can be quite fast, and after 8pm or so you can probably expect to walk in and get a table for a small group. Or, even easier -- reservations are allowed.
It's an izakaya, so I recommend against tunnel-vision and looking for the sushi. In fact, the one sushi we had was intensely boring. Luckily we had two Japanese girls at our table who helped with the ordering and we got lots of tasty stuff (and some duds, sadly).
Deep Fried Fresh Corn ($5.80) - deep fried fresh corn with soy butter
- Whole corn cut into quarters lengthwise, so you get some of the inedible cob (seed rack) and rather small kernels.
- You can eat the entire stick served to you, but the cob is tough and tasteless.
- Net amount of kernels is very small. Get this at Suika instead where they use canned sweet corn. You don't get any cob there.
- Total waste of time no matter the price.
- Wow was this tasty. And price for portion is really decent as you get a sizable bowl that wasn't mostly soup.
- A little bit of spicy heat really kicked up the tastiness a notch without any burning of the tongue.
- For one person, this could possibly be a light meal all on its own -- under $10!
- We ordered three for our party of seven and the orders automatically came with sharing bowls!
- TIP: Ask for extra spoons and chopsticks if you want to distribute the noodles first instead of everyone dipping in their chopsticks.
- Don't share this with too many people. I got a lousy end piece and it was basically rice with a bit of crab on top. Not very even, so not every bit will be tasty.
- Completely unnecessary tiny portions of three types of salt for dipping -- the chicken itself is flavourful enough, and in any case there's not that much salt to go around.
- Our Japanese friends agreed it was the most authentic chicken karaage they have had.
New Generation Fresh Ginger Ale ($5.50)
- House-made ginger ale.
- Our Japanese friends said the bitter ginger taste makes it a hit with Japanese girls back in Japan (?).
- Not enough gingery bite for me, but enough. And tempered with 7-Up so it came in on the sweet side.
- Refreshing palate cleanser.
- Quite a bit of ice in my tall glass, though (at least 50%?)
Our male server was upbeat, friendly, and chatty despite us having come in just at the tail end of a very busy night.