Skip to main content

Dine Around and Stay in Town 2014

Victoria's parallel to Dine Out Vancouver is Dine Around and Stay in Town, which seeks not only to lure foodies to downtown Victoria, but also out-of-towners. This year, it happened to coincide with an old friend of mine recently come back to Victoria, so I finally made my way over there.
I'll post a few dine outs that I had there, but in this post I'll have an overview of getting to Victoria, staying there, and impressions of Dine Around and Stay in Town.

First, if you are going to Victoria specifically for Dine Around and Stay in Town, have a look at the menus first! I cannot emphasize this strongly enough if you are vegetarian or vegan! The choices are very weak, bordering on non-existent. This is not to say that there are no vegetarian or vegan restaurants, or that restaurants do not have vegetarian choices. But for the Dine Around menus, the vegetarian options are lumped together with gluten-free options, and you might be hard-pressed to find yourself a veggie three-course.

If you do not have severe dietary restrictions, then Victoria will probably be a nice change from Vancouver in that you typically get more bang for your buck. Even at $20, you are getting portions that you would normally find at a outside-of-Downtown-Vancouver value eatery. They feed you properly there instead of eroding your wallet with tapas.

Downtown Victoria is small enough to walk just about everywhere, and typically safe (and pretty quiet on the streets) past 9pm during Dine Around and Stay in Town (that is, before the peak tourist season), so you might want to forget about your car and bus it. You can of course plot your own route with the ferry and the local bus, then grab one of the supposed hotel deals, or if you want one-call convenience, you can try Pacific Coach Lines, with which you can book a return ticket and hotel stay.

My travelling companion and I stayed at the Chateau Victoria Tuesday night and departed Friday afternoon. Total cost, including return tickets on the PCL Coach, was $548.10 for March 4-7. Although it was listed on the Dine Around and Stay in Town website, the PCL agent confirmed that there was no special rate -- which led me to suspect that the "room deals" were really just advertisements for off-season rates.

The Chateau Victoria has many plusses:
  • Super-close to the bus depot.
  • Very close to the tourist-worthwhile parts of downtown Victoria.
  • Free apples at the front desk.
    • Tip: Use the ice box provided in your room to get ice and chill your apples. The beer fridge in your room is rubbish when it comes to cooling things.
  • Free Globe & Mail newspaper every morning.
    • Tip: Try to cancel this to save paper if you're not into reading.
  • Free make-your-own coffee and tea, of course.
  • Recently renovated. Clean and feels "new".
  • Vista 18 Restaurant has great views, though you don't need to be a guest to go.
I personally found Victoria boring and the restaurants passable. Not worth the extra expense of going there just to try the food. Try to pair your food expedition with something else to do in Victoria.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.