Skip to main content

InstantPot Bread - Bake versus Air Fry

I have an 8 quart InstantPot with the Air Fryer lid. The manual recommends the "Bake" setting for breads at 365 F for 30 minutes, but I thought why try Air Frying it?
Here's how the experiment went:

Dough

I used the simple bread dough I always use. You can probably get away with using whatever bread dough you normally make, but here's the recipe I use in case you're stuck for one:

  • 5 cups flour
  • 2 cups water + 1 tablespoon quick rise yeast + 1 tablespoon sugar
    • I let this sit for a bit to let the yeast wake up and start bubbling, or at least not still look like dry grains
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
After mixing it into a dough, I let it sit and rise for about an hour or so till it has approximately doubled in volume.
Once this has happened, I scrape it out and gently knead it into a manageable shape, then cut it into eight to sixteen buns, depending on how large you want them to be.
Normally I put them in the freezer and only pop them in the InstantPot when I want bread.

Arrange for Baking

Straight from the freezer I take out buns and put them in the InstantPot air fryer basket (slide 1).

I used to just lay them flat on the basket, but found that dough would get into the slots on the bottom of the basket. And if it does, the baking process can cause it to expand enough that it won't come out nicely but will instead tear off a chunk from the bread when you try to pull off the baked bun.
(If this happens to you, try flipping the basket over and popping them buns loose from the bottom; or cutting off the baked dough that is protruding out of the air fryer basket slots.)

To mitigate this, I now arrange them leaning against the side of the air fryer basket. This reduces the surface area that actually touches the floor of the basket and that might slip into the slots.

Immediately after the InstantPot cooking cycle was done, I took the buns out and cut them open immediately for the pictures.

Experiment 1: Bake from frozen - 365 F, 30 minutes

(results in Slide 2)

The interior was quite nice, and fluffier than the air fried version. Not as fluffy as the loaves of sliced bread you can buy from the supermarket though.
But the exterior was a biscuit-like shell around 2mm thick and really hard to cut through nicely. My knife ended up chopping right through when I applied a firm sawing action and as you can see that squished some of the interior.

Experiment 2: Air Fry from frozen - 400 F, 10 minutes

(results in slide 3)
I much preferred this result -- and as a bonus, it took less time!
The exterior wasn't as hard and definitely not as thick as the baked version.
The interior felt a bit denser though and chewier, closer to a bagel. Since I don't mind this at all, I will certainly stick to the faster air frying method.

The side of the bun that was on the bottom of the air fryer basket turned out darker and slightly harder. (slide 4) You can see on the left side that the bun is darker. However the shell was not significantly thicker or harder there, and certainly not like the bun baked for 30 minutes.
The "nipple" you see is where some of the dough had sunk through the slotted bottom of the air fryer, but fortunately I was able to pop the bun cleanly out.

At this point I considered a third experiment where I would use the Bake setting for less time, but as the Air Fryer turned out perfectly decent buns in a comparatively very short time, I didn't really see much point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.