Skip to main content

Delicious Shakshouka brunch at Zaatar

Zaatar Mediterranean Hummus Bar on Urbanspoon
EDIT: Jan-24th -- Price correction to $8.90 after tax.

I was on the Food Bloggers Food Cart Crawl when we walked by Zaatar Mediterranean Hummus Bar on Davie. The restaurant name has hummus all over it, but what caught my eye was the picture of Shakshouka on their street sign. It looked YUM and I knew I had to try it. It tasted... totally not what I expected.

The restaurant has been open for about 7 months. The owner is Israeli, but it's not a "family restaurant" per se. On this Saturday morning, the cashier was Ukrainian and the chef was French. Not the best start if you're looking for authenticity, but hey, as long as the chef can serve out delicious food, I won't complain.
The website is, sadly, rubbish. Zaatar even points to Urbanspoon for their menu (Huh?).

You may wonder why I went to a hummus bar but didn't order any hummus. I'm wondering that myself.

Anyway, if you don't know what it is, shakshouka is "a dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, chili peppers, onions, often spiced with cumin". Like ratatouille, it looks like a dish made of thrown-together leftovers from mass cooking. ("Leftover onion? Yup, throw it in!"). Conceptually it looks pretty easy.

At Zaatar, you get it in a metal dish about 6" in diameter and 1" deep. It comes with a small side of sour cream with some spice Labaneh yogurt cheese dip with zaatar and sumac spice on top, and two thick pitas. One fork, no spoon. No water or napkin either at this pay-at-the-counter place. The cashier is friendly enough, but this isn't a "restaurant" where you are waited on per se and where you pay tips.

The shakshouka looks quite soupy, but there's a good amount of onion in there to give it a stew-like consistency. That, and if you mush up the two eggs on top, you get a nice thickness to it.
I can't say I knew what to do with the sour cream. If you put it in the stew, it just disappeared. The stew itself had just enough spice for a kick, but nothing that is really "spicy" hot per se. And they didn't ask me just how spicy I wanted it. You might want to do that up front if you really need that burning-tongue sensation to be happy.

From the dark reddish tomato look of it, one might expect something on the sour side, like spaghetti sauce. But surprise surprise, it is actually _sweet_.

Two pitas (and no spoon!) doesn't look like enough, but it really is. Treat the dish like a stew and save about a half-pita to wipe the pan of every last bit of deliciousness.

At $8.90 after tax (tip not required), shakshouka is a fairly nice price for a nice breakfast or brunch, plus you can just take any remaining pita away with you.

Comments

  1. I Have been there to and it is delicious.
    But might I correct you, the side dish is not sour cream, It is Labaneh yogurt cheese dip with zaatar and sumac spice on top.
    Just for future reference in case anyone else is wondering what the side dish is.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous - Thank you for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.