Skip to main content

Smacked upside the head by my intuition

A few months ago, I found what I thought was an excellent investment opportunity in Alberta. A company had secured a chunk of land in the Acheson area between Parkland and Edmonton, and by all accounts it was very promising. The mayor of Parkland not only confirmed that development of the area was high-priority to position it for "Port Alberta", but that the development company identified was "one of the best, if not the best" of the companies working on the area.
I also spoke with a hotel chain that had been courted for the hotel to be built, and they were positive about locating there, so it seemed like the development already had a solid buyer even before construction began.

But there were delays at my end. At first, these seemed like ironic annoyances. There was a mail strike which delayed funds from a mutual fund cash-out. After the mail strike, the funds still hadn't arrived after a week, so we cancelled the cheque, in case they got lot. Not three days later, the original (now cancelled) cheques showed up, and it was another two weeks before the new cheques finally arrived.

Then, after I put the money in the bank and asked for a bank draft, I was told there was a 6-business-day hold on the funds. That would normally be 8 days, but there was the long weekend, so it turned out to be 9.

So far, I was more amused than annoyed, but in the back of my mind, something was nudging me. I got the idea that maybe the universe was trying to keep me out of this investment for reasons I can't find out about yet.
All the research I'd done seemed so positive, so I tried to brush it aside.

Then, just yesterday (Wednesday), I finally got the bank draft, and went over to the office to sign the documents. The regular salesperson wasn't there, so he passed it on to someone who hadn't done the documents before. It was 60 pages. Lots to read, and several pages that needed a notary to witness signatures.

There was (what I thought was) a funny clause that said if they couldn't provide me with a Certificate of Title for the land parcel I'd be buying, I would get my money back, BUT less 6% sales commission.
I thought that was unfair since they were basically saying that even if I get no product, I would still be paying commission. As I was writing a $23,000 cheque, this was a big deal to me.
But they wouldn't budge on it, saying no one else had asked about it before, that it was standard, and that it was really a "worst case scenario".

Anyway, I was prepared to let it go, but when I took the documents to the notary, he was extremely unimpressed by how badly it'd been filled out. The sales agent had put down "New West" as short for "New Westminster", which was a no-no. Also, my name had been filled out as "last name, first name", which just isn't done. He advised me to bring it back, because it would otherwise be just chock full of errors to be initialized.

I deferred the whole thing for next time, saying I'd take the existing documents home to read. But ever since the notary, my intuition was screaming at me. Surely, the universe was pulling out all the stops to prevent me from getting into this investment.

I ended up going back to the bank to sheepishly put the money back. Hmm...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.