Skip to main content

Cibo Trattoria

Cibo Trattoria & Uva Wine Bar on Urbanspoon
Came back tonight from Cibo Trattoria in the Moda Hotel. Another overpriced meal. Excellent food mostly and deserving of the various awards it's garnered since opening in 2009, but the price tag was frightening.

Here's the damage:
$5 Sicilian Pannelle (3 triangles)
$8 Crispy Pig's Trotters (3 pieces plus token coleslaw-like salad)
$5 Fried Egg and Tuna Bottarga Bruschetta
$55 Truffle Quail (quail with some potato and, apparently, enough truffle to price it at $55)
$24 Two glasses of white wine
$8 Chocolate Nemesis "River Cafe"

After tax it was $119.84 !

The Pannelle was delicate and interesting to try if you've never had it before. Fresh from the fryer, it was very cripsy on the outside and spiced enough to be salty and tasty all on its own. The inside was hot and creamy with some rosemary (?). Overall, definitely finger food and not for the ham-fisted as you'd just destroy it. Pick it up not too close to the end or the crust will just snap off. When you bite, you can quite gently tear off a chunk.
I would have to say this appy was the highlight of my night -- delicious, and with interesting, sharply contrasting, texture. At $5 for 3 wedges each about two square inches, it's the only item that I thought was priced fairly, or a bit underpriced considering how good it was.

The Pig's Trotters were fritters with chunks of reddish meat and other stuff inside. It definitely tasted like pork, but also had a fatty taste to it. Not too special here. The salad that looks like coleslaw had capers in it, and helped to offset the fattiness with sharp sourness. I recommend giving this one a pass.

The Bruschetta plates are single-slices of french bread maybe 30% bigger than your credit card and cut about a centimeter thick. Averaging $5 each, that's steep. I was intrigued by the tuna bottarga and ordered it. The fried egg was very conveniently done, with a yolk that was soft, but not so soft that it dribbled all over the place if you cut it -- which we did so I could share it with my dining companion. The red and grated bottarga (preserved roe pouch) had a hint of tuna smell, but otherwise predominantly salty. They could have just dusted the egg with fancy sea salt and it wouldn't have been too much different. At $5? -- Give this a pass.

My companion ordered just the wine and quail for herself. The quail was so small I declined to have any of it, so I can't comment. Hopefully she appreciated the truffles as it weighed in at a frightening $55. It's not on the online menu, but rather on a separate menu of truffled items.

The "Chocolate Nemesis 'River Cafe'" was a thin wedge of flourless chocolate cake, accompanied by a tablespoon of stiff sour cream. It was creamy, more like a ganache. Not the best I've tasted, but decent enough. My dining companion raved about it, however. At $8 it's not bad value.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.