Skip to main content

Japadog (McArturGlen Designer Outlet YVR)

Japadog Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato My friend re-visiting Vancouver after many years was reminded of Japadog so we stopped by the outlet at McArthurGlen Designer Outlet -- which you can skytrain to for free from YVR airport. Just get out on the correct side of the station. Otherwise you might be confused by the map inside the station.
After some agonized selection (we figured we could only try two between the two of us), she settled on the Menchikatsu Dog and the not-shown-on-the-website Okonomi. Together they came to $22.24 after tax.



It was interesting to get my friend's take on the Japadogs because she's Japanese. For starters, she recommended eating the Okonomi first, because she estimated it would have a subtler flavour than the Menchikatsu Dog.

Okonomi Dog
  • Inspired by the Japanese okonomiyaki pancake, what you think of this Japadog will probably depend on your idea of what an okonomiyaki should contain. If you start with a blank slate about this, then this Japadog will simply be special for having bonito flakes on top.
  • It is otherwise nothing really special. One thick and juicy sausage with toppings. If you can get bonito flakes yourself, then you can just make it at home honestly. After having tried it, I'd give it a pass for not being that special. There are surely more interesting Japadogs to try.
  • My Japanese friend's experience of menchikatsu is a very crunchy-on-the-outside beef patty with maybe a 60-40 beef-veggie ratio. The menchikatsu dog is basically that patty shoved into a hotdog.
  • I did not find the patty to be particularly crunchy. Sure, the bottom part might have been softened by exposure to the veggies and sauce, but the top should have been fine and we claimed our freshly made order from the counter promptly. Certainly no fun crunch to be had here.
  • The ratio of beef seemed quite high. Patty was reasonably juicy. Taste is okay but nothing special -- tastes like beef. Meh.
  • I think if you've had a crunchy menchikatsu before, this might feel mediocre.
  • The shape of the menchikatsu is quite short and wide, almost a ball or egg. And shorter than the hot dog bun. You might want to grab a plastic knife and cut it lengthwise, then shove the patty around a bit so every bit of hot dog bun will have some beef.
  • Again I'd pass on this Japadog next time and keep looking for something more complex in terms of condiments/toppings.
For an outlet at McArthurGlen, I feel the ambiance of this diner style Japadog is severely lacking. Feels dark, messy, and like some kind of low-brow dive you might find in a Gastown side street. The predominantly black decor doesn't help either. Feels very out of place compared to the overall style of McArthurGlen even if you consider only the other eateries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.