OK, maybe not the saddest burger ever -- that would probably be the Classic Jr. at Cannibal Cafe, if you take the gluten-free lettuce wrap option. But the Portobello Burger at Meet in Gastown was still shockingly disappointing.
On a Saturday night, it was really busy till around nine with lineups out the door. Communal seating here helps if you are just two diners.
Space is bright and has high ceilings, lending a sense of space when you are really sort of squashed in.
Menu is vegetarian but if you aren't paying attention to the fine print you might not actually notice. Which is a good thing.
House Made Ginger Shrub Beer ($4.25)
- Really decent. Sweet but not too much so. Good ginger bite.
Sweet Chili Cauliflower ($9.75)
- Good but too sour.
- If they could make the batter crunchier, this would totally be a winner.
- Considering that it's just cauliflower, you are also paying for its popularity given the portion you get.
Portobello Burger ($13.50)
- Comes with fries and salad. I asked for those to be substituted and they gave me a presumably regular order of Groovy Gravy Fries for +$4.
- Really sad. Very short burger with rather small portobello mushroom cap. My friend's $10 gluten free mushroom burger from the Loving Hut Express food truck looked better than this.
- Taste was sad too. The gravy fries were better.
- Gravy is pretty tasty. Has a light Marmite like aroma and flavour to it.
- They give you enough gravy to make your fries soggier than a poutine. You might possibly want to try asking for gravy on the side.
- Pretty deep bowl and a good portion!
- From the sample I got, it tasted like a really good pad thai.
- I should've have gotten this instead of the burger.