Skip to main content

How to fix Windows 10 update issues like "Your Device is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes”

I bought a second-hand Alienware laptop off Facebook Marketplace. It looked in near-new condition and the seller reset the laptop and along with it, the Windows 10 installation.
But when I got it home, the Windows 10 automatic update got stuck several times, eventually stuck on “Your Device is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes” and error 0x800f984 with retries failing.

I searched for a solution and found this page . I tried the initial solutions including trying to fix corrupted files, but after hours, it seemed the best and most straightforward solution was to just bypass the automated installer and go straight to Microsoft to download Windows 10 updates.
It did take a while to download (on my slow internet connection) but I didn't need to use the command line to try speculative fixes, or any even more complicated solutions that might result in a worse situation if done incorrectly. Afterwards, it had a few more updates but they went through fine.

That page also has a handy tool to prepare a USB (minimum 8 GB) as an installation disk to completely reinstall Windows on a PC.

If you have update issues, I recommend trying this method first. Depending on how outdated your current Windows 10 version is, updates with features can be a big download and the installation time afterwards can be substantial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 3

A picture from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. I can't remember why I had this couple in the picture, but I do vaguely remember this to be in London, on the first official day of the tour group getting together. Their insistence on my helping them take a picture caused the three of us to be late getting back to the bus. The local tour guide had a "rule" about lateness, that we had to buy chocolate to share with everyone. As it turned out, later in the trip, on at least two occasions, we were stuck on the highway on either a long commute or a traffic jam, and I had chocolate and chocolate-covered marzipan to share. About the chocolate-covered marzipan -- Apparently we were in Austria just as they were celebrating Mozart's birthday with special marzipans wrapped in foil with the famous composer's picture. I'm pretty sure it was Mirabell Mozartkugeln . Anyway, there were enough to go around the en

Meet Melissa Gaines and her blurry sexy pics

Oh boy! I had no sooner finished posting about the lovely Taylor Burch responding to my personals ad on Craigslist when Melissa Gaines (e-mailing from erikmcclure858@yahoo.com) mailed me a couple more pictures of her lithe body and selling her profile on the same looks-like-a-phishing-scam site (http://craigslistsafe.net/profiles/melx3/). One of them was an NSFW naked-breasts pic which I haven't posted here (sorry -- but honestly, nothing to write home about, especially with the serious bikini tan lines). Here's the e-mail exchange: Melissa e-mail #1 Here is my picture as attached. Please e-mail me details what you are looking for along with your pictures. Thanks and waiting to hear from you soon. Melissa e-mail #2 hey thanks for getting back to me we should definitely meetup sometime... if youre interested of course :) a couple things i should set straight though: 1 we use condoms 2 you join a dating site that I belong to safedates no worries though its fr

Trafalgar's European Explorer 2006 memoirs part 10

The last of my pictures (at least the ones that survived the cheesy disposable cameras) from my 2006 trip, a Trafalgar 's bus tour, on an itinerary called the European Explorer. Below is the obligatory group photo. Not sure everyone's in it, actually. I'm pretty sure this one was taken by the tour director, Mike Scrimshire as I'm in the back row, on the right side.